Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 1: Life in the Hawthorne House

Today, September 1st I will try my best to start this thing. I wanted to write an entry for every day I was in the Hawthorne house (my beautiful blue house I am renting in downtown Grand Rapids!). Unfortunately life got in the way.

I had a wonderful move in the first day. My parents helped me move everything out of storage and up to the loft on the 3rd floor, my bedroom. We went out to eat with Kitty, my roommate and best friend. After they left, Kat and I walked to our friend Tori’s new house, which is just down the block. I loved every bit of Grand Rapids so far! All day Kat and I talked about our honorary roommate, my cat Charlie. He was the only thing missing. I got Charlie last October during a difficult season of my life. He helped me pick up the pieces and was something I completely put my whole heart into, when it was difficult to let anyone else in. around 10 pm the night I moved in, I got a phone call from my dad letting me know that Charlie got hit by a car and died.

I was as devastated as any pet owner could be. Surprisingly I was not angry at all or asking why; I know that all things happen in God’s time. I did, however; feel utterly heartbroken. Very few times in my life have I been in a situation where there is just nothing I could do. Death is one of those things. Nothing anybody says fixes anything. The only thing you can really do is talk about how great your memories are and see that the time together was a complete blessing. I think the power of many prayers helped to comfort me, nonetheless; I was in no mood to start my new blog. Hence today; Day 1 of life in the Hawthorne house.

After class, I came home to a new friend in my room. J I named him Henry. The scary thing is, this guy was in my room last night and I had no idea!



 I was feeling ambitious so I decided making dinner around 2pm. Without internet still, I adapted a recipe from Rachel Ray’s cookbook into my own creation. Eggplant Marinara served cold. J It actually turned out pretty good! (No picture sorry!) Tricia stopped by and took a nap in my room. It was nice to be able to say “hey, we have all year to chit chat, but right now I need sleep!” Strange to say not hanging out really made me excited! I am weird. After she left, I ventured out in the 90+ Degrees to catch up on my running. My mission was to find the Fuller Dog Park and Hillcrest Community Gardens, which was a success! The bad news was, not only did I end up on the sketchy side of Fulton, it was way to hot for me to go the full 4 miles I had mapped out so I cut it down to about 3 miles. Oh well. Back home Kitty and I ate my pre-made dinner. Not bad! Running makes me so happy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have been away from blogger for awhile. I thought i would come back and check in. :) I LOVED MY NAP! It is always a treasure to know you have friends that you feel comfortable enough doing that with

    ReplyDelete